Class 2 Bluetooth Module
The RN42 is form, function, and pin compatible with the RN41. The primary difference between the RN42 and RN41 is that the RN42 is a Class 2 device, meaning its range is about 50 to 60 feet and correspondingly the power consumption is reduced.
The RN42 is perfect for short range, battery powered applications and by default is ready to use in the SPP (Serial Port Profile) configuration. The RN42 uses only 26 µA while in sleep mode. Multiple user-configurable power modes allow the user to dial in the lowest power profile for a given application.
With support for multiple Bluetooth profiles such as SPP and HID, and a simple UART hardware interface, it is simple to integrate into both an embedded system or connect to an existing device. The RN42 is FCC and Bluetooth SIG certified making it a complete embedded Bluetooth solution.
The RN42 also comes in a package with no antenna (RN42N). Useful when the application requires an external antenna, the RN42N is shorter in length and has RF pads to route the antenna signal.
- Fully certified Class 2 Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR module
- Bluetooth SIG qualified
- UART (SPP or HCI) and USB (HCI only) data connection hardware interfaces
- Onboard embedded Bluetooth stack (no host processor required)
- Supports Bluetooth data link to iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
- Supports HID profile for making accessories such as Keyboards, mouse, pointing devices
- Programmable low power modes
- Secure communications, 128 bit encryption
- Error correction for guaranteed packet delivery
- UART local and over-the-air RF configuration
- Auto-discovery/pairing requires no software configuration (instant cable replacement)
- Castellated SMT pads for easy and reliable PCB mounting
- Cable replacement
- Barcode scanners
- Medical devices
- Industrial sensors & controls
- Asset tracking